What is the Tax Prep Program?
The Tax Prep program offers free tax preparation services to low-to moderate-income individuals and families in our community. We need your help this year to ensure that those eligible for the Tax Prep program are getting the services they need. The U.S. Census estimates that over 50% of families in Lincoln alone earned less than $50,000 annually (53,477 estimated households), making them eligible for tax preparation services at Community Action.
- Greeter (Lincoln and Wahoo): Greets all taxpayers visiting the site and directs them to their appointment. Assist those taxpayers who want to sign up for taxes on our software.
- Spanish Interpreter: Interprets for taxpayers and volunteers.
- Tax Preparer (Lincoln and Wahoo): Prepares the tax return and identifies any missing information.
- Intake: Collects the information needed from the taxpayer for the Tax Preparer.
- Financial Check-up: Reviews taxpayer’s credit report with them and creates a credit improvement plan
- Finisher: Explains the return to the taxpayer.
Comprehensive training is provided for ALL volunteers.
All volunteers must attend a 90- minute Volunteer Orientation and Standards of Conduct training and must complete the Standards of Conduct certification.
The following is additional training these volunteer positions need:
- A new Tax Preparer is required to take a 16-hour Basic Tax Training.
- An Intake is required to take a 16-hour Advanced Tax Training and an 8-hour Intake training.
- A Financial Check-up Volunteer is required to attend a 4-hour Financial Check-up training.
- A Finisher is required to attend a 16-hour Advanced Tax Training and a 4-hour Finisher training.
If you have any questions about training contact:
Andrew Ritta- (402) 875-9351 or Will Wallace- (402) 875-9345
Are you ready to become a Tax Prep Volunteer? CLICK HERE to fill out this easy online application, or
For information about volunteering contact:
Volunteer Resources Coordinator